[kwlug-disc] Cross Platform Messaging Clients

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu May 12 11:18:41 EDT 2016

Has anyone found a decent SMS messaging client for Android that also has
cross-platform and cross-account capabilities?  I've been using Google
Hangouts but I'm finding that it's really unreliable (my daughter isn't
getting my texts more than half the time).

I'm seeing lots of messaging apps, but 99 times out of a hundred you join
their network of users and you can't add people from your other lists (i.e.
Skype, Google, etc).  I don't want to maintain a bunch of networks on my
phone.  I want one app to rule them all!

I did see one potential at https://ring.cx/en, but I don't think it handles
SMS.  It's open source, though, so there's hope.

Whatsapp looks interesting as well, but again I don't see anything about
SMS.

Pushbullet (https://www.pushbullet.com/) also looks interesting but it
doesn't handle Linux (and some of the reviews in the Play store were pretty
bad).

What are you folks using for SMS messaging?  Have you integrated your other
accounts into your SMS app?