[kwlug-disc] Monday May 2 presentation details

Chris Craig kwlug.org at ciotog.net
Sun May 1 17:43:24 EDT 2016

On 1 May 2016 at 16:40, Daniel Villarreal <youcanlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be interested in having music play from one session and
> continue playing in another session (switching users in
> KDE/Xfce,etc.) under GNU/Linux, on the same computer, without
> using VLC (Fedora Alpha 24 doesn't have access to fusionrpm, so far
> as I know) and/or shoutcast or other streaming application. I just
> switched the Fedora 24 alpha system to Fedora 23 with stock
> repositories  Is this doable?

It should be fairly easy using MPD. It runs as a system service that
you control via various front-ends, including a number of terminal,
web, or GUI interfaces. My personal favourite is Cantata.

I run MPD with IP streaming enabled so I can listen to my entire music
collection at work, or through a tablet in the yard, etc.

> I found a really old article online "How to make PulseAudio run once
> at boot for all your users," disregarding the bluetooth part, and got
> the following...
>
>         ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable
>         to connect: Connection refused
>
>         Floating point exception (core dumped)
>
> Sound works fine in the original configuration, but doing the
> suggested changes breaks sound completely.

You could try the suggestion here:
http://billauer.co.il/blog/2014/01/pa-multiple-users/

This sets up pulseaudio for a single user, but allows loopback
connections from other uses to access the pulseaudio driver.