[kwlug-disc] Monday May 2 presentation details

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sun May 1 16:40:02 EDT 2016

I'd be interested in having music play from one session and
continue playing in another session (switching users in
KDE/Xfce,etc.) under GNU/Linux, on the same computer, without
using VLC (Fedora Alpha 24 doesn't have access to fusionrpm, so far
as I know) and/or shoutcast or other streaming application. I just
switched the Fedora 24 alpha system to Fedora 23 with stock
repositories  Is this doable?

I found a really old article online "How to make PulseAudio run once
at boot for all your users," disregarding the bluetooth part, and got
the following...

	ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable
	to connect: Connection refused

	Floating point exception (core dumped)

Sound works fine in the original configuration, but doing the
suggested changes breaks sound completely.

I may just try Devuan Jessie 1.0 Beta.
https://beta.devuan.org/

Thanks!

On 05/01/2016 03:15 PM, R. Brent Clements wrote:
> I will be spending a bit of time talking about ALSA and pulse
> configuration....

This sounds very interesting. I'd heard of real-time sound processing,
I wonder if that's related.

I really don't want to have to use a Microsoft operating system to use
software that came with Fender guitar... if I could get effects using
GNU/Linux, I'd be happy... An OpenBSD enthusiast recommended the amp
sim Lect to me once, but I've never gotten that to work.I mainly use
OpenBSD on a really old computer for more "secure" computing, I think
sound really lags and it's not nice to hear.

> Brent

- --
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
youcanlinux at gmail.com
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49