[kwlug-disc] Cross Platform Messaging Clients

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Sun Jul 31 13:57:32 EDT 2016

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:15:15 -0400, Andrew Sullivan Cant <acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> said:

> Matrix looks really interesting. I was having a hard time finding the
> information on the bridging stuff, but it is right in their FAQ.

> https://matrix.org/docs/guides/faq.html#what-bridges-to-other-networks-are-available

> And the full list is here:
> https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html#application-services

> Though I'll admit I'm still a little fuzzy on how to use it. Run my
> own server and have it federate to other services, I think.

The easiest way to try it out is to go to vector.im, and either use a
guest account, or register an account.  (Vector is a web-based Matrix
client.)  You can run your own home server, of course, and have it
federate.  Be aware, though, that the reference home server is
reportedly a memory hog (but they're apparently working on it).  I don't
know about other home server implementations.

I'm still hoping that XMPP will get fixed up to work the way that people
nowadays expect IM to work, but out of the possible open XMPP successors
that I've seen, I think that Matrix is the most promising, and seems to
have some momentum behind it.