[kwlug-disc] Success with a media centre

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:05:25 EDT 2016

Had a nice setup last night with my daughter's old TV and a Raspberry Pi 2B
last night.  Wifeski wanted a TV set up on the fireplace so I commandeered
the TV and sacrificed my Raspi.

The goal was to make something completely user friendly so I wouldn't have
to make support calls all day long...

It was a very simple install, no problems.  It was such a clean install I'm
still wondering what I did wrong...

For the Raspberry Pi I pulled out the existing Raspi microSD card and
popped in a new empty card, then followed the instructions on
http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/ to get it set
up.

Instead of openElec I used OSMC, which you can find at https://osmc.tv/ .

Long story short, the OSMC installed with no issues and the Pi has HDMI so
it was a matter of one cable between the Pi and the TV.  I had to borrow a
keyboard and mouse from another box to get the OSMC configured.  I need to
stop by Canada Computers tonight and pick up one of those small Pi
keyboards with integrated touchpad.

I was able to connect Kodi (which is basically all that OSMC does) to my
media server via NFS.  When I went to bed last night Kodi was still trying
to build a database of my movies and stuff.  So the Pi is slower than I
expected.

I did play one TV show last night and playback was acceptable.

>From here on out all that remains (besides getting a keyboard) is throwing
add-ons at Kodi, but as we all know we have a world renown Kodi expert
amongst us by the name of Charles so I will defer to his book for the rest
of this install...