[kwlug-disc] Strange poweron problem

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:35:53 EDT 2016

To be clear Jeff, you're saying your USB hub does have a small power
transformer that plugs into the wall and gives the USB hub power (i.e.
It doesn't try to draw all the power from the computer)?

If not, this could be the issue.

We used to have problems in CR with our USB KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse)
Switches, they would draw just enough power away from the USB ports
that when we plugged in a USB flash drive it would always appear to
fail. As soon as we removed the KVM switch the same USB drives would
appear. For us the problem started going away as we got newer
computers in, but it still happens the odd time with older machines.
This seems to be why some KVM switches have the option of external
power (but almost never come with the adapter).

The computer is probably newish, you might also try running a
multimeter on that 3V CMOS battery. The odd time we've seen computers
where the CMOS battery was so low it caused the system not to POST or
to POST erratically.

It could of course be the USB hub.