[kwlug-disc] PFSense and USB 2.0 NICs

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:56:11 EDT 2016

On 07/11/2016 09:43 AM, Colin Mackay wrote:
> Looks as if I'll just have to stick with my backup plan.  Turn the atom
> into a low powered Asterisk box, to clear the VM off my other box.  For the
> moment, I'll stick with my old router running DD-WRT. :)
>

> Any recommendations on a low powered box with dual NIC that I can get in
> Canada, specifically for pfsense?
>
> Note that this is for home / tinkering use...  not a company.

Don't know about DD-WRT, but OpenWRT is VLAN capable. You may already
have all that you need, using the VLAN idea.

For that matter, any reason pfSense couldn't be run in a vm with
multiple virtual nics (which are, in essence, VLANs anyways)?

Even a P4 can run a vbox vm if it isn't doing much else. A console only
vm should be even less heavy. I'd further guess that the native vm's
(e.g. Khalid's thread some while back) would be even more copacetic
than, say, (oracle) vbox.