[kwlug-disc] Cable internet price increase

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 23 21:04:05 EST 2016

----- Original Message -----

When VDSL went in Wed., the tech found both pairs defective and switched them.

Which explains why I went off DSL years ago to cable - Bell was supposed to be giving 5Mbps down, was only getting 1.5, asked that it be looked at, they switched it down to 512. Goodbye Execulink (Golden) - sad to see you go, it was good while it lasted. Can't say enough about the excellence of Execulink service to the time - too bad they were sideswiped by Bell. i.e. Poor bell response lost Golden a customer.

Moral of the story for Bell - send a tech. You wouldn't have lost a customer all those years ago.

Pairs are 'perfect' now, says the tech. Full 50/10, getting 60 some tests.

Pairs will never have the speed of cable - peerless service with Rogers, then Acanac, throughout. Since I was happy with 30/5, and 50/10 was same price as 25/5, I can live with it.

Came down to the quality of the STB user interface. Even now, neither Rogers nor Bell will do slow motion. Never mind frame advance/reverse. And price. But not much to choose from between Rogers and Bell, price/service wise - although even the Rogers guys say Bell has a better user TV experience.

I'll be unsurprised if I switch back to cable in 3 years after the price guarantee is up.

Keep your eye on Bell and Rogers - they appear to be hungry. Rogers bringing 4K TV, Bell now has 'restart' (catch the program from yesterday that you missed). Warn, though - it's not every channel. Bell seems hungrier.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Vmedia in that time - they just went to a quad core STB.  They've been beaten up for poor service and STB. The quad cord should address the STB, and over time they should be able to build out their network better. (Not much different than the impression of Acanac 5 years ago. They built out since, and service was perfect over the last year.)