[kwlug-disc] Cable internet price increase

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 14:49:55 EST 2016

On 01/23/16 14:39, Bob Jonkman wrote:
[...]
> I recently helped someone move from Bell phone to VoIP.ms, and as a
> result Teksavvy's DSL needed to be switched to a dry loop. I thought
> this would have been done as an administrative switch too, since the
> incoming wires weren't changing, but Teksavvy insisted on sending a
> technician.
>
> Turns out they actually provided dry loop on a different pair than the
> Bell phone, so a tech had to switch the wires at the central office
> location. When he came in to ensure that the new pair was properly
> connected he discovered that the almost-60-year-old wire from the
> demarcation box to the disconnect inside the house was bad (all of 5
> feet of wire), and replaced that. Together we discovered that the
> internal house wiring was awful (bare wire splices, some original
> 60-year-old three-conductor wire, unterminated wires going nowhere).
>
> Internal wiring isn't covered by the tech's visit, but he "forgot" a
> few metres of three-pair cable, and I ended up bypassing most of the
> internal wiring by connecting the DSL modem directly to the disconnect
> inside the house.  As a result, the modem we thought was flakey has
> been working flawlessly ever since, and download speeds have improved
> remarkably.
>
> Moral of the story: Never refuse a technician's visit, especially if
> there's no charge as part of some other service.

Having worked the ISP end, always verify what you're entitled to on a
new install, i.e. how many outlets max. are included? Always see what is
involved in a pro install. Always ask about the equipment. Ask about
specials, you have to ask.

I recall having issues with Bell and they volunteered to send one kind
of wireless setup, and they ended up sending a more advanced unit.

Also, verify your appointment information very, very carefully, to avoid
spelling mistakes and thus potentially missing your appointment... Make
the cx service agent repeat your instructions/contact info, preferably
having the agent phonetically spell back your name and other important
details. Do you have a gate code? Pets? Make sure to coordinate with the
ISP what the expectations are.