[kwlug-disc] Linux Mint site hacked

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Feb 24 13:12:51 EST 2016

Part of what Linux Mint offered was a superset of Free Software. The
Linux Mint distro had no qualms about including proprietary driver
blobs to make your Broadcom WiFi cards work, or including Flash to
make YouTube work, or to include MP3 libraries to make your podcasts work.

The focus was entirely on ease-of-use. No need to run `apt-get install
ubuntu-restricted-extras` or install a non-default desktop manager.

That means that Linux Mint was never intended for the people who
frequent the KWLUG list, some of whom are quite capable of compiling
the kernel from scratch. But Linux Mint was great for people who were
first venturing away from MS-Windows and needed a similar interface
and the same hands-free it-just-works experience.

Today, I think Ubuntu-MATE comes closest to that approach. Happily,
the people who most benefit from that aren't concerned about the
back-room politicking, nefarious license agreements and Free Software
purity concerns that turn some of us away from the
commercially-supported distros.

- --Bob.