[kwlug-disc] Linux Mint site hacked

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 24 12:40:39 EST 2016

Which just begs the question ... why use Mint (then)? (Buyer beware / what are you putting at risk in doing so, with such a distro?) Or non-repository software? (Actually, at least with non-repository software one likely has a greater understanding / expectation of ... less than commercial+professional ... presentation.)

- Mint being an entire distro, and so on and so forth.

Let me say / ask that in a less unintentionally provocative way ...
(Speaking as a KDE user, which Mint embraced very early on, so caught my attention, then.)

For those of you who use Mint, what has attracted you to it, more than, say, Kubuntu, or Debian+KDE?

- it was my impression that Mint was (only) largely KDE with a cool theme. Is that incorrect?

Moreover, I understand things like Mate and Cinnamon have come along since. But, being a KDE person, I've never noticed the attraction to them. What am I missing / misunderstanding about what Mate / Cinnamon bring to the user experience?

No flaming intended.

I get not feeling good about Canonical, or the moving target that is Kubuntu (sponsor wise), but I'm not sure I want to run a distro with smaller infrastructures behind them.