[kwlug-disc] Internet connection issue in Waterloo lately

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Feb 11 18:23:25 EST 2016

According to the Teksavvy report, there was a combination of issues
(DDoS plus routing problems), and a reluctance of Rogers to
address the issue because Teksavvy is their competition.

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/why-teksavvy/company/open-letter

> One event was a total backbone failure on point-to-point routes
> outside our network. It took out separate paths and was
> responsible for at least two of the outages. This doesn’t often
> happen. But we are following up on how it did, and preventing
> recurrence.
>
> The other event was a massive DDOS attack with a new attack
> signature we hadn’t seen before. The DDOS attack converged on a
> single end-user location, overloaded the capacity of some of our
> network gear, and challenged some of the specialized DDOS boxes and
> rulesets we have in place.

Also:
https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/200313840-Current-Cable-Internet-Outages

My connectivity either blinked out or was dreadfully slow for a few
(15) minutes, but restored itself without me having to do anything.

Everything's normal here now.

- --Bob, who's normal as anything.