[kwlug-disc] Home automation/security using ZWave?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 1 22:39:51 EST 2016

I posted this last year, but got no replies from the group.

Posting again after this evening's discussion during the social gathering.

The RaspBerry Pi supports Z-Wave via an addon board (RazBerry), which is
really a separate computer with its own web server, software update
mechanism, ...etc. Interfacing with the RazBerry is via HTTP requests.

Here is an example of someone doing exactly that for a Z-Wave front door
lock.

http://www.pratermade.com/2014/08/adding-z-wave-control-to-your-raspberry-pi/

For a ready made solution, Vera has new models such as:

http://getvera.com/controllers/veraedge/

And here is list of extensions for various devices and scenarios:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_plugins_and_Luup_code

The top of the line controller for Z-Wave is HomeSeer, but it is very
expensive (many hundred of dollars), as well as being proprietary.

http://www.amazon.com/HomeSeer-HomeTroller-S6-Automation-Controller/dp/B00VKS46Q0

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> Has anyone on the list tried out a home automation / security system that
> uses the ZWave protocol for sensors?
>
> It seems there is a plethora of devices that support that protocol, and
> there are Linux devices that can act as controllers.
>
> For example:
> http://getvera.com/controllers/vera3/
>
> It is basically a router with USB and ZWave
>
> http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?page=installation_and_system_requirements&language=1&manual=1&platform=3Pro&go=GO
>
> On their wiki, they have this, which shows they are running BusyBox
> http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Logon_Vera_SSH
>
> Programming is done via a dialect of Lua with uPNP added (hence Luup).
> There is integration with Android and iOS of course.
>
> This is for an older version, but shows it is running OpenWRT Kamikaze,
> and programmed in good all shell.
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/control-your-home-vera-mi-casa-verde
>
> Anyone used Vera or other ZWave thingies for home automation and/or
> security?
>
> --
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.