[kwlug-disc] Nextcloud 11

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 18:50:44 EST 2016

On 12/14/2016 02:19 PM, Hubert Chathi wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:54:42 -0500, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> said:
>
>> And any host-your-own email solution is going to immediately going to
>> get flagged by everybody as spam.  Best bet is probably hiring some
>> hosting service that offers email.
>
> If you're worried about that, you only really need to outsource email
> sending.  You can still do your own receiving and storage.
>
> I've been hosting my own email for a while (both incoming and
> outgoing), and Hotmail/Outlook/Live/whatever is the only thing that's
> really given me any trouble.  It can be a lot of work to make sure that
> your email is receivable, but it isn't impossible.

Running one's own e-mail server is always a popular topic.

Any amount of poking into the idea quickly reveals an unexpected amount
of complexity and gotchas, which can be daunting - perhaps not so much
e-mail / the server itself, but the necessary ecosystem that surrounds
it in today's world. Let alone if you expand the topic to
'communications' (instant messaging, 'skype', irc, and the like). I
expect many skitter away from the idea rather quickly.

Yet many do it, presumably happily and successfully.

[Mind you, I thought the same thing about voip / voip.ms, but
eventually, especially after posts from John, Oksana, and Raul, haven't
looked back since.]

Any favourite 'howto' links out there?
(Such seem to be a moving target, it can be hard to discern what's
'current'.)