[kwlug-disc] OT: Laptop battery life

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 24 11:20:31 EST 2015

Are you draining the battery all the way down before charging?

Are you leaving AC plugged in at all times unless otherwise unavoidable? I see contradictory opinions regarding such trickle charging.

NiMH is not supposed to have memory, but in practice appears to. So reconditioning is supposed to help - complete drain, complete charge, complete drain. Or something. There is/was even a utility in the repository to assist this. (Can't find it at the moment.)

Myself, I try to do anything I can to not use the battery. For most of my use cases to date, I only need to be on battery for at most 3 hours at any given point, e.g. Library. Otherwise, even at Tim's or in a meeting room, I'll hook up the AC - I even carry a 2 prong extension cord to facilitate that. And my working assumption is that laptops are AC powered only, the batteries being so expensive and in essence useless.

$60 for a battery is just silly. Unavoidable, but nevertheless. Never mind most laptops won't power up on AC without the battery - but at least it can be a completely dead battery.

Perhaps my good experience buying UPS batteries will be true for you here - http://batterywholesale.ca/ on Lawrence does batteries much cheaper than places like Canada Computers. Perhaps they can order something for you? He's responsive on e-mail.