[kwlug-disc] OT: Laptop battery life

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Nov 24 10:15:24 EST 2015

Since this laptop is an older model (BIOS says March 2009), I had to
replace the battery on it quite a few times.

What I do is go to Canada Computers web site, and check the laptop model
and get the battery that matches, opting for the larger capacity one. The
cost is reasonable at $60 for the 6600 mAH version (regular one is 4400
mAH).

The problem is, while the initial ones lasted for 2.5 to 3 years, the newer
ones do not last that long. Perhaps 1.5 years or so.

So, the questions are:
- Did anyone experience such short battery life, specially in aftermarket
batteries?
- Can the battery be rebuilt, rather than buying a new one with the old one
not having a future in being properly recycled?

Additional info:
Here is: /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         6600 mAh
last full capacity:      663 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10800 mV
design capacity warning: 0 mAh
design capacity low:     0 mAh
cycle count:              0
capacity granularity 1:  0 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  663 mAh
model number:            PA3534U-1BAS
serial number:           0001
battery type:            Li-ion
OEM info:

And here is: /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charging
present rate:            448 mA