[kwlug-disc] Browser wars

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:09:56 EST 2015

I've been a Chrome user for many many years now.  A few weeks ago I thought
that, in the interest of FOSS, I would try Firefox for a while and see how
it goes.

So far, while Firefox seems fairly quick, and the add-ons selection seems
decent, I'm just not sold on it.

First off, it freezes a lot.  More specifically, every time I open a
Google-owned page, like gmail or G+, Firefox will freeze for about ten
seconds while it chokes on what I believe to be some remnant of Google Talk
that I just can't seem to eradicate.

Secondly, I'm not convinced that FF can handle HTML5 as well as Chrome.
I've run into a few HTML5 sites that balk at FF, and I have to flip back to
Chrome.

On the plus side, FF seems to be less of a resource pig than Chrome.
Memory use has always been Chrome's dark side.  FF seems fairly snappy, and
once I got used to the menu customization options I found it to be fairly
intuitive.

I would keep both browsers going if I could, but I use bookmarks a lot and
it's a pain to synchronize the two.  (If anyone mentions "Xmarks" I will
personally forward the mountain of spam I got from Xmarks years ago to you,
repeatedly)

What's everybody's feelings on browsers these days?  I would like to
support FOSS via FF if I could get over these operational humps, but as it
sits right now, I'm not happy with FF.