[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 12 15:08:37 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:44:37PM -0500, Chris Irwin wrote:

> I had this discussion at work, and it made little sense to us too. I
> think we all agreed with your thoughts above.
>
> Arguing in favour of bricking the device doesn't make sense with the
> scenario either. If you start getting filesystem errors (like the media
> suddenly going read-only), you're likely to take the machine down to
> inspect it. So why bother having a read-only mode in the first place.

According to the comments of the article (which I did not get the
sense is to differentiate consumer drives from enterprise ones.
Thanks, capitalism.

In the comments there were a few other stress tests which people
posted. Some of them are a bit Swedish for me, but they all have
pretty charts to ogle:

http://www.nordichardware.se/SSD-Recensioner/vi-testar-livslaengden-pa-ssd-enheter-med-tlc-minne-foelj-vart-loepande-ssd-doedartest.html

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2311278&p=11

I also remember reading on the original thread that they did power
down the drives for some time (a week?) after they had written certain
amounts if data, so they were at least aware of the problem Rashkae
brought up.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org