[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Nov 10 23:44:37 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 10:25:27PM -0500, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> I found one terrifying paragraph in the article:
>
> ----
>
> The drive's media wear indicator ran out shortly after 700TB,
> signaling that the NAND's write tolerance had been exceeded. Intel
> doesn't have confidence in the drive at that point, so the 335 Series
> is designed to shift into read-only mode and then to brick itself when
> the power is cycled.
> ----
>
> Um.. what? In what world is bricking a drive after a power cycle an
> acceptable failure mode? Read-only I can understand. But bricking?

I had this discussion at work, and it made little sense to us too. I
think we all agreed with your thoughts above.

Arguing in favour of bricking the device doesn't make sense with the
scenario either. If you start getting filesystem errors (like the media
suddenly going read-only), you're likely to take the machine down to
inspect it. So why bother having a read-only mode in the first place.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca