[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:33:21 EST 2015

I have to agree with pretty much all that Chris said, keeping in mind that
the price difference between HDD and SSD is still a factor for me.  I've
seen many HDDs fail over the years, but I've yet to see an SSD fail (yes,
they're still too young to do a proper failure rate comparison).

I just recently replaced the SSD in my Windows desktop client with an Adata
512gb SSD for $230 (
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=076683).
I couldn't get Windows install to work with this new drive until I disabled
SMART on it.  I don't have any clue why that worked.  All of the Googling I
did for the error I was getting said to turn on SMART, but it was already
on, so I tried the opposite of what the whole world was saying and sure
enough, it worked.  I do still get some driver issues (and BSODs) that I
didn't get before the rebuild, and that SSD is the only hardware that got
changed.  So draw your own conclusions.

The drive that I replaced, a Samsung 256TB SSD, is still salvageable, if
you're concerned.  The Windows install on it was so Frankensteined that I
decided to start over from scratch.  Luckily I have one of those toaster
drive bays that I could pop the Samsung into to recover any data from the
drive.  While I was worried that the drive itself failed, it seems to be
running ok in the toaster.

Back to the original topic, however...  Right now my primary Linux desktop
client has an el-cheapo motherboard that doesn't offer SATA III so while an
SSD might help, I wouldn't be able to get the full bang for the buck.  So
I'm using an older HDD while I dream of rebuilding everything in that
desktop from scratch.

Also, I have some NAS boxes that use 2, 3 or even 4 TB HDD drives.  I
imagine it will be years and years before we can get 4TB SSD for what I
paid recently for 4TB HDD.  So for the time being I'm stuck with HDD for my
network storage solutions.

My Lenovo laptop came with a 1 TB HDD and a 16gig mSATA.  It's almost three
years old now.  I use the mSATA as a swap partition (I have 8 gig RAM).  I
think the jury is still out on whether or not you should use mSATA as a
swap drive, but I had to use it for something.  I would love to replace the
HDD in the laptop with a SSD, for all the reasons Chris mentioned.  In
fact, once I scrape together a few bucks I just might pop out the 1TB HDD
for a 512 TB SSD, but I'm not sure it will be the same Adata.

So you can be sure that once SSD prices drop even more (or the next breed
of even faster, cheaper drives comes along), I will start replacing my
aging HDDs as quickly as I can.