[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu is replacing .deb with Snappy

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed May 13 15:56:40 EDT 2015

First, apologies, as it looks like I assumed too early that Snappy uses
btrfs.  It's hard to find out exactly what it uses, but it looks
partition based.  For example, this page mentions vfat and ext4:

	https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/guides/filesystem-layout/

I made a mental connection with what I had read earlier on 0pointer.net,
so the direction didn't seem surprising, although I made an incorrect
assumption on the underlying technology.

I like the old way of package management, but then again I'm not managing
1000 cloud images and apps either.  This Snappy thing appears to be
*very* cloud oriented.  It just happens to show up on Ubuntu desktop,
since that is Ubuntu's own dogfood.

Rollback is one area in the old package management which is really non-existant.
There's no "apt-get undo".  If you're unlucky enough to have cleared your
apt-get cache, just finding the old .deb you need is work.

The potential duplication of data in Snappy concerns me, but it could
be mitigated by btrfs.  I haven't tried Snappy yet, but from the overview,
it looks like developers can include the libraries they want.  This
looks like a maintenance headache when you want to fix the latest SSL bug
in all your app containers.

As for monoculture, when it comes to package management, I live in one
already.  Apt-get is the first and best package manager that handles
dependencies, in my opinion, and there's nothing that matches it,
even though it has its problems.  Other package management systems
feel kludgy to me in comparison.

I stick with Debian because of the large software repository, their signed
packages, their free software focus, and their stability.  It appears
that Ubuntu is at least copying 2 of those 4 (large repo and signed
Snappy packages, from what I've read), and we'll see how they do on
the last two.

I'm happy to stand on the sidelines and see how Ubuntu does for now.
A quick test in my Jessie VM seems to indicate that it is still possible
(with minimal work) to install xfce4 without systemd or pulseaudio.

So choice still exists. :-)

- Chris