[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu is replacing .deb with Snappy

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon May 11 10:25:32 EDT 2015

Anyone can make outrageous claims or ideas.

So when someone advocates for a package management system built on top of a
specific file system, that is not really odd.

What is odd is that the majority do not see that this limits choice and
promotes monoculture (you have to use btrfs to use newfanglepkg). This lack
of choice and monoculture have been the mainstay of the free software
movement, with people replacing parts they don't like with parts they do,
from the file system, to the init daemon, to the package format and
manager, all the way up to the desktop.

Now, we are regressing to the desktop (Gnome) depending on a specific init
system (systemd).

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 12:09 AM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> This is just building on top of btrfs and systemd, no?
>
> http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html
>
> If you're going to go that route, might as well go the whole way and
> get all the benefits you can. :-)  Looks like Ubuntu is attempting just
> that.
>
> - Chris
>

> On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 02:57:32PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > Ubuntu will be moving away from .deb it seems.
> >
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/more-stable-future-ubuntu
> >
> > http://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/
> >
> > This is a major undertaking. Ubuntu used to capitalize on the fact that
> > debian has vast mostly centralized repositories with tens of thousands of
> > packages.
> >
> > Now,Canonical will either have to a) re-roll all the packages from debian
> > on an ongoing basis as releases (very labour intensive), or b) settle
> for a
> > subset of what is available, thus causing less choice for their user
> base.
> >
> > Usually a major change like that used to be rolled out to the community
> for
> > testing for a fair amount of time, and then when acceptance grows (or
> not),
> > it is gets into popular distros.
> >
> > Snappy was announced in December of 2014, so it is only six months old
> >
> > But of late things have been moving into a different direction: top down,
> > not bottom up as it used to be. The example is systemd's adoption in
> Debian
> > and Ubuntu.
> > --
> > Khalid M. Baheyeldin
> > 2bits.com, Inc.
> > Fast Reliable Drupal
> > Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
> > Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
> > Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
> > For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
> > wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal