[kwlug-disc] OT? QNAP NAS file snapshots

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri May 8 23:58:41 EDT 2015

While I haven't used QNAP, I use their competitor Synology (in particular,
the DS412+), which I believe has something similar to what you want, but
just as you did with QNAP, I'm getting conflicting messages on the Synology
side of the internet as well:

Synology Snapshot Manager software plugin for Windows Server allows you to
create application-consistent snapshots in DSM. For Windows environment,
you can install Synology Snapshot Manager for Windows Server. After
installation, when a snapshot is triggered on DSM, Synology Snapshot
Manager will use the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) technology
to produce consistent point-in-time copies of data. Synology Snapshot
Manager for Windows Server also supports performing snapshots when
triggered by 3rd party software via VSS.

(via
https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/Snapshot%20Manager%20for%20Windows
)

There's also some talk of snapshot as it pertains to vSphere and Hyper-V,
which sounds to me like the ability to take a snapshot of an entire VM.  I
don't think that this is what you wanted, but perhaps this is a possible
cause of the confusion you're seeing online.