[kwlug-disc] SMART for SSDs

Thu Jul 30 00:10:15 EDT 2015

> On Jul 29, 2015, at 11:59 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> It also notes that SMART will alert you LONG before the drive really dies - years even, at a couple TB / year? And that when it dies ... it's really dead. One last reboot and it's a brick. As Lori notes, the reallocated sector count seems to be the real tell.

Is this SSD-specific? My experience with SMART and spinning platters is that if SMART reports the drive is fine, be wary. I’ve never ever had a spinning platter SMART warning flag a failing drive, only my RAID array saying that one of the drives has failed because the kernel dropped it.

This is based on a good decade worth of smartd running on drives from all the major vendors. Maybe they’ve finally got it working well with SSDs, but I don’t trust SMART. Not one bit.

-A.