[kwlug-disc] SMART for SSDs

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 29 23:59:41 EDT 2015

Thanks Khalid ... good info.

Just got through Lori's link, myself (thanks Lori, a good and entertaining read!). I noted the article says the average user won't write more than a few TB a year, and that even MLC SSDs should get 100's of TB of life. That would be decades. Rather reassuring. [Inferring inexpensive is fine and paying more than the least is an unnecessary price premium?]

It also notes that SMART will alert you LONG before the drive really dies - years even, at a couple TB / year? And that when it dies ... it's really dead. One last reboot and it's a brick. As Lori notes, the reallocated sector count seems to be the real tell.

So, 'apt-get install smartmontools' and forget about it until it tells you otherwise, and likely decades until you will?

[So I can be less worried if the drive has swap / holds vms? Warnings will be issued when appropriate, and even then ceasing use of the SSD for such will leave a long life for / and other normal use?]