[kwlug-disc] Software Freedom Day

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 19 23:18:35 EDT 2015

This thread has become confusing. Perhaps it should be split out.

(1) Colin has a venue and a bunch of plans and expectations already in place. They may not yet be firm, formal, or documented, but evidently he is working through that. No doubt he will let us know more when he is able.

- to that end, Ken, hold off on what you're thinking, as I expect Colin will inherently provide whatever Bob needs since he has accepted Bob for his offered presentation. I expect Colin has or will have Conestoga A/V facilities available to him. e.g. Every classroom already has a screen, projector, sound, and so on and so forth. (Bob, if you haven't presented there before, their computers don't / didn't understand impress, but do have an ability to get sound/video from your own laptop, being on KVMs.)

- Colin, when you get that far: (1) Consider an installfest. Presumably in a cafeteria somewhere. It may not be large enough to be a 'fest', but volunteers hanging around to help people connect the dots / 'whats a distro, where do I get one, and what do I do with it' will be useful. For however few show up for such, vs those who know they can figure things out on their own. Having a computer/switch nearby for people to plug ethernet into and netboot into a distro install will be useful, or perhaps even to just ftp down an .iso or vm. I expect Paul / Bob / kwlug can help inform the what / how of such. (2) When you get that far, let us know how we can help. e.g. Door / fest / elsewise volunteers. For that matter a lab running a vm kiosk could be useful - there could be eclipse, blender, minecraft, grandpa (what you'd give your parents when their windows machine goes TU), and any number of things others can come up with better than me. Seems to me each vm choice has a library store out there somewhere. Try before you buy, as it were. Having a few booting usb keys to loan out within the lab may be an idea. Stick em on a string, and have ethernet cables lying beside the monitors in the lab. (I used to pull a lab computer's ethernet and video, stick them into my laptop, and get on with my day.)

Perhaps: 'Conestoga K-W Linux Conference 2015'

(2) Bob and Ken, or Bob in responding to Ken, is talking about a separate and separately located SFD that thus far has no venue / location, or date. It does not yet exist.  Should it come to exist, it may well be that that venue already has all necessary A/V in place. Could further discussion about such be split into a different thread than from Colin, and the two kept distinctly separate. For I'm getting fair confused and having problems following 'which is what talking about whom', at this point.

- given the conflicting events of the SFD date, perhaps it's worth scaling down SFD from the past and partnering with whatever kwartzlap is doing? 'IP Freedom Day', not just software, or hardware? Let alone kwartzlab hardware is probably a larger domain than the 'hardware' one expects when thinking computer centric.

Perhaps: 'K-W SFD 2015'

For that matter, for both ... a presentation such as Bob is offering seems *VERY* important, perhaps de rigeur. 'Freedom', in this context, is crucial to understand, never gets old, and no matter how many times I hear it or think about it I keep being startled at how it applies to areas I hadn't considered it in different contexts I experience.