[kwlug-disc] Software Freedom Day

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Jul 19 19:31:27 EDT 2015

Last year we had four simultaneous streams of events (see last year's
schedule at
http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2014/Canada/Kitchener/TWC#Schedule )

Going by the attendance at last year's presentations a small room for
20 people would be sufficient. That same size room would work for a
workshop with maybe 8 participants (four cafeteria tables). An
installfest tends to be big and messy and long, so a room that seats
50 people theatre-style might work for an 8 station installfest (eight
cafeteria tables).

But SFD can scale up or down depending on the venue available.  For
example, we could have only presentations in the morning, and a
workshop in the afternoon, or maybe an installfest in the afternoon.
Something we haven't done is lightning talks, which are only five
minutes long each. That gets in more talks, but not so in-depth as a
presentation with Q&A.

Once a venue is available we can figure out the format.

I'd put out a call for presentations, workshops and lightning talks
now, but if there's no venue there will be no SFD.

- --Bob.