[kwlug-disc] Website Wishlist

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Thu Jul 9 16:26:09 EDT 2015

So I'm not volunteering for anything, but... ;)

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 14:23:16 -0400, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> said:

> I would like to keep an archive of content, which means migrating
> content. Drupal 6 -> Drupal 7 is painful but doable. I am not looking
> forward to re-entering all content manually, so then the problem
> becomes one of exporting content in some sensible way. (The first
> person to blindly suggest "use a wiki!" as the solution has just
> volunteered to transcribe all the content.)

If you want to do something more static, jekyl has a Drupal 6 importer
http://import.jekyllrb.com/docs/drupal6/
I have no idea how good or bad it is.

> Another thing that is nice with Drupal is having multiple logins. I do
> not want to be the only person with commit access, because at some
> point other people will need to update KWLUG content.

> The third thing is that the content should be updateable by the web,
> because giving out SSH credentials like candy might not go over well
> with our generous webhosts.

One way to get all that with a static site generator is to set up a git
repository on github/gitlab/etc., and give several people write access.
Then you can set up a hook that will tell the web server to pull from
the git repository and rebuild the site every time someone does a push
to the repository.