[kwlug-disc] Linux Conference Update

Nick Guenther nguenthe at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 7 10:16:34 EDT 2015

Hi Colin,

How about a talk called "The OS is your IDE" covering make, GCC, syslog/how to wrangle printf, git, shebangs and the terminal.  I'm a Waterloo student but I know some people over with you and I know they push IDEs pretty heavily on your, which is soooo not the Unix way.  I would throw in screen/tmux/i3 too, which is actually how I usually work, but I can keep it with Gnome just to point out how accessible this style of working is.

Other things that I would like to see happen:
- running your own telecom server (SMTP, IMAP, XMPP, spam filtering)
- The OS is your DBMS, covering btfrs and/or LVM, especially its RAID and snapshotting features, using symlinks to make indexes, and find and grep.

--
Nick Guenther
4B Joint Stats/CS