[kwlug-disc] (question) What embedded board do you have?

Tue Sep 30 09:18:25 EDT 2014

On Sep 30, 2014, at 9:10 AM, Chris Craig <kwlug.org at ciotog.net> wrote:
> I've got a couple of Arduinos (one's bricked so I bought another)
> which mostly my kids sometimes play around with, and a Raspberry Pi
> that I haven't had any time to do anything with.
>
> Even though I haven't been able to do a small fraction of what I'd
> like with what I have, I sometimes go here and salivate:
> http://canada.newark.com/dev-kits?ICID=hp-rr-Devkit

Years ago I was the “featured guest” at the local Perl Mongers and had a kind of “intro to hardware” meeting. Simple stuff to start really: driving I/O, basics of transistors and mosfets for switching/level translation/etc., rules of thumb for things like pull-ups and LEDs… that kind of thing.

Would there be any interest in a revisit of that kind of thing? It can be kept fairly generic so that people using their arduini, ${animal}boards/bones and various dessert boards could benefit from it. I can talk about PWM (for servos, or analog outputs), ADC rules of thumb, driving large loads without letting the magic smoke out, etc….

I’m getting rusty with my Linux skills but driving electronics doesn’t require anyone to know more than the basics anyway.

-A.