[kwlug-disc] Tablet shopping

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Sep 29 09:31:57 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been using Sony Xperia branded Android phones for many years now,
>> and can vouch for their high quality. First the Xperia X10, then Xperia
>> Arc, and now the Xperia ZL. The cameras are the best there is, and the
>> screens are bright and sharp with vivid colors.
>>

> I briefly had a Xperia ZL phone, that I sold before going back to a Nexus
> device. Sony allows bootloader unlocking, but Rogers firmware prevented it.
> Was very disappointed.

Yes, Rogers are [bleep] that way ...

Of the 6 or so Android phones I used over the years, I did not load any
third party firmware. The stock firmware works fine once you purge the
Rogers/Bell crapware, using a variety of means depending on the specific
phone.

I find that Sony's user interface to be fast. On older models the TimeScape
UI was annoying, and installing a third party launcer solves this (ADW
Launcher worked well for me).

>> I did consider the Xperia Tablet Z, but could never justify the price
>> ($599 plus taxes for 32GB model when it came out ~ 1.5 years ago). Now, it
>> is not even at Futureshop or BestBuy for some odd reason, and on Amazon.ca,
>> it starts at over $750 ...
>>

> I paid much, much less for it at Best Buy than that. Must have been toward
> the end of the product cycle.

Hmmm. If they obsoleted it, then they did not announce a replacement tablet
yet. Odd .. Also odder is the higher than MSRP price on amazon.ca for it ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.