[kwlug-disc] What collaboration software am I looking for?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 27 13:45:07 EST 2014

xtuple?

http://www.xtuple.com/get-xtuple-erp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTuple

Your list is in essence salesforce management, client relationships,
customer service, etc.

 > - A (growing) list of potential employers

Salespeople, or customers, depending on how you want to look at it.

 > - A bunch of people who are looking for placements (which we call
   "participants")

Prospects, or potential sales, or sales leads.

 > - Actual placements that are made between the participants and
   employers

The other side of the top (salespeople/customers). A placement could be
considered a sale.

 > - Make notes about each participant, including which employers they
   have approached for each participant

Journal or customer / supplier interaction history notes.

 > - Keep track of employer information (such as contact information and
   prior placements)

(Built in) Contact db / app, with notes.

 > - Keep track of tasks to be done with each participant and employer

Tasks assigned. Including calendared 'waiting for' (GTD parlance).
(Journal item above, dated with date due.)

 > - Record and evaluate placements that are made

After sale follow up.

 > - Generate reports on all of the following

Moving target. There's a reason why most people csv data -> calc.

Your requirements also make me think wiki is some part of the solution
so that they have a place to put notes and thoughts, share them, and
gain a single repository from which to pull initiatives / thoughts /
ideas. This could even be a starting point. One article per client and
supplier, and wiki words would cross-reference.

I like what William said - pen and paper. They won't like that, but it's
the honest truth, and the real (selling) point is that through doing
what they do with pen and paper for some period of time they will be
better able to express their desired result from any computer processes.
And be better able to define specifications to help you short list
potential solutions.

[It's not clear from your note, but for all I know this has been going
on for a while, and they're already at this point.]

More importantly, through such they will better appreciate the
administrative burden / overhead involved in any system. And if they
perceive sufficient value to the result knowing the overhead work
required to accomplish, there's a better chance for a successful, not
abandoned, implementation.

e.g. Contact maintenance, diligent data entry, task assignment entry and
reporting, and so on.

Put xtuple on a livecd or something so they can take it for a spin. At
the least they'll start to get a sense of the nature of the beastie,
what and how to organize things, and what sorts of things might be involved.

Regardless of your ultimate solution given your requirements list, the
conceptual frameworks to be delivered will be similar, regardless of the
specific solution chosen. Perhaps a demo cd or something will get you
some buy in. Bonus, I suppose, if you could fire it up in a vm and they
could access remotely. i.e. Equivalent to taking that live cd and going
on to the next person. Person one might put in a contact and make a few
notes. With a vm person two would be able to see that and build on it.
By the time you hit person X they will be able to see how it might fit
your environment. Or not. (Let alone if the live cd -> vm is actually a
working server multiply-accessible by bowser - your demo becomes
production if they like it. Native clients, if any, could be installed
later.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/files/10%20PostBooks-VMs/ ?

Else "20 Top Cloud Services for Small Businesses"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361500,00.asp ?

http://www.zoho.com/ ?