[kwlug-disc] OT: "No I will not fix your computer."

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Nov 3 01:21:39 EDT 2013

A LOT of FUD floating around here.

Windows / Linux costs not all that different. (Amount MS gets per PC
pretty minor.)

Large scale deployment of either involves a lot of up front i.t. costs
to figure out how to deploy / maintain.

User education is user education.

Hardware / software costs very small proportion of TCO.

If Linux desktops were such a panacea, Windows wouldn't exist.

Free is free. Debian is Debian.

Support contracts not required, either way.

Part of MS subscription model for continuous revenue stream matched by
outrageous pace of distro releases. Thank goodness for LTS. (See
deployment costs.)

- I'm so tired of the upgrade treadmill. It's not a better mousetrap.
Keep me trapping mice, not figuring out how to set traps. (Use the
hammer, not learn about a new one.)

Windows install, linux install, not much difference.

FOSS encourages just about same amount of payment, but to fund further
development. That it's not to MS bottom line is irrelevant - money is
still out of your pocket.

- refer back why Floss Fund invented. (That it's dying is sad.)

See prior thread - people time not deemed affordable. Local or otherwise.

Either you're a better global value provider, for your measure of value,
or you're not. Local doesn't matter. Global stage.

Playing / learning irrelevant - developers still put in the time. Model
is many more users paying less getting you to same funding level.
Evidence is we're not there yet / not working. (Or there would be no
Windows desktops in the world.)

If Linux were so much cheaper, no need for threads about where to get
computer repairs. We'd all be doing their own / they wouldn't be
necessary at all.

Biggest difference is WHEN you pay, not how much. MS up front.
Assumption on Linux is you pay for an i.t. department instead - writing
code and contributing that back to the community. (See people not deemed
affordable.) [Let alone - MS defined cost, not so Linux. Can budget /
plan / allocate over time.]

Support desk, bodies, and cost, is same either way.

Small business can't afford it, either way.

Let alone home users.

CDN$0.02

Flamewar not intended.

Suggestion: before making claims, provide links to credible evidence.
(Never mind the MS anti-Linux costs FUD - biggest problem there seems to
be all the costs of Windows they don't mention, and all the ludicrous
costs of Linux they do mention. Gotta love marketing. And politicians /
CFO's that buy into it.)

If all of this were absolute truth, we wouldn't still be talking about it.

Comments from people like John and Cedric welcome.

Sadly, many arguments bifurcate between servers and desktops.

Are we not repeating all the FUD between cloud and not? With a security
/ privacy / FUD / twist?