[kwlug-disc] Meeting topic request

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Apr 15 02:18:43 EDT 2013

I'm not sure this article adds anything to our knowledge of ZFS, but it
coincidentally crossed Atom/RSS feed reader in the middle of the discussion:

http://linuxaria.com/pills/zfs-is-ready-for-your-linux-desktop

"And now after more than two years in the experimental stage, the ZFS
file system for Linux is ready for widespread use."

--Bob.

> *L.D. Paniak* ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
> <mailto:kwlug-disc%40kwlug.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bkwlug-disc%5D%20Meeting%20topic%20request&In-Reply-To=%3C5169AF51.2050608%40fourpisolutions.com%3E>
> /Sat Apr 13 15:17:37 EDT 2013/
> Since I brought it up (and claim to paying customers to know something
> about it), I can do a half meeting on ZFS and how it has recently become
> relevant for the Linux user.  It is a nice story involving government
> sponsored open-source projects, nuclear weapons, software licensing
> issues and supercomputers.
>

> On 04/13/2013 02:29 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> >/ All of this stuff about ZFS on Linux and btrfs sounds pretty
> />/ interesting, but I doubt I am never going to bother learning about them
> />/ until I have to and/or I am spoonfed information in a meeting.
> />/
> />/ My main questions:
> />/
> />/ - What are they?
> />/ - What makes them cool?
> />/ - Are distributions moving towards them, or will we stay with ext4 and
> />/   friends forever?
> />/ - What does the future look like? (eg who is developing ZFS now that
> />/   Sun got eaten up?)
> />/ - What are the implications for those of us who are mere mortals and
> />/   not bleeding-edge linux gurus? (aka "Why do we care?")
> />/
> />/ Would any of you knowledgable brave souls be willing to give a talk
> />/ on next generation filesystems? We could split an evening into one
> />/ person talking about ZFS and another about btrfs (or perhaps some
> />/ other filesystem we really should know about).
> />/
> />/ - Paul
> />/
> /

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413