[kwlug-disc] Slow OpenVPN on Rogers?

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:03:00 EDT 2011

2011/5/18 Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca>:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:30:57AM -0400, William Rieck wrote:
> I guess it is foolish to ask for pointers to sites that document the
> kinds of throttling Rogers does on its network? I realize that much of
> this will be hearsay, but it will still be worthwhile.

I don't trust my ISP to give me latency-decent packet service. I've
been using a tool called Smokeping to ping a small set of machines (my
ISP's gateway, google.ca, and csclub.uwaterloo.ca (where my screen
session lives)). This gives me a history of reasonable ping times that
I can use to benchmark current behaviour of my internet connection.

Thusly, I suggest pinging the machine you are OpenVPN'ing to. Then you
can reasonably determine:
 - opening the VPN connection degrades the general latency times to that machine
 - opening the VPN connection degrates your internet connection in general
 - nothing (e.g. maybe only the OpenVPN connection gets throttled. In
this case you may want to try and alternative Smokeping "target" (I
think that's the word), such as ssh to see if it's only encrypted
traffic that gets throttled.)

Hope that helps!