[kwlug-disc] Slow OpenVPN on Rogers?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed May 18 10:29:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:30:57AM -0400, William Rieck wrote:
> I also am experiencing very slow peer-to-peer VPN connections with Rogers.
> It feels like my traffic is being throttled as if it were a bit-torrent
> connection. I see this when I use a remote desktop application 'Logmein",
> (and possibly even when Skype conferencing.)

This is good to know.

At the same time, some of our users also use Hamachi for VPN, and they
report that Hamachi is more responsive than OpenVPN. If our Hamachi
connections are also using Rogers (which might not be the case since
we have two gateways) then life gets bizarre.

> One suggestion I've heard and am finding this works, is to make sure
> there are no torrents active on your network that may cause Rogers
> to start throttling you willy-nilly. Rogers admits that throttling
> is affects other types of traffic and they are working on a solution
> to this. So possibly you need to search and destroy the torrents
> running on your network, (which I know you have mentioned is a
> problem.....)

I guess it is foolish to ask for pointers to sites that document the
kinds of throttling Rogers does on its network? I realize that much of
this will be hearsay, but it will still be worthwhile.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org