[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 31 15:23:36 EST 2011

  On 01/30/2011 08:50 PM, unsolicited at swiz.ca wrote:

> You're right, it probably costs them many more thousands of dollars than
> $1.27. Without recouping their costs, why would they invest more in
> infrastructure, yet we are all complaining about speeds, and costs.
>
> Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating Bell in any way here. But that
> first customer on that piece of equipment that causes the capacity of that
> piece of equipment to be exceeded will trigger a cost incursion of many
> thousands of dollars. By the time you acquire, let alone install, maintain,
> track usage for billing, and all the other costs, you're into many
> thousands of dollars. Which is really all to say - ISPs have oversold lines
> per piece of equipment, stupidly, and now have found a way to finance a
> capacity increase.

Well. let's look at Bell's profits to see if they are loosing money.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/41820.php

They made C$3.98 billion in Q4 2010. that amounts to almost C$16b per year.

Having worked for a supplier for Bell Canada in a previous job, and
hence knowing the costs
of building network infrastructure, I would say Bell can easy make good
profits without UBB.

- Ralph