[kwlug-disc] First observations on Lucid Lynx

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon May 3 10:15:28 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 07:33:48AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> * Out of curiosity, I went looking on the install CD for the package
> list but found very few .deb package files, so I wondered where all the
> install content was coming from.  A bit more poking around revealed the
> sizable squashfs image file casper/filesystem.squashfs, so I imagine
> that's what's used for both the live session, and as a straight copyable
> root FS if you choose to install.
>
> But if that's the case, why are there still a handful of .deb files
> under the pool/ directory and it's alphabetic subdirectories?  For
> instance, the g++ and libstdc++ package files.  What's special about the
> .deb files that are still on the install CD?  Again, just curious.

Depending on the variant of install CD you get, you get enough
packages to get you a base system or a standard system.

The businesscard CD has just enough files to get the installer going.
You need a network connection in order to get anything.

The netinst CD has the installer and enough files to get you a base
system, but you don't get your eggplant desktop environment.

The full install CD has enough files to give you a desktop (and I
guess the development stuff like g++).

In my experience installing off of the network (maybe using a local
APT proxy) is the best way to install Debian or Ubuntu.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org