[kwlug-disc] Todo Lists and task management

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Mar 16 16:32:45 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:05, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> Mostly I just use vim and a bunch of text files, or STATE files
> in the directories that need them.

So how do you get a list of projects with outstanding tasks?
`find ~/work -name STATE` ?

I've been having off-list discussion with a friend. He suggested a
flat-file directory, with each task as it's own file, prefixed with a
number. Reprioritising is `mv`, notes are contained within the file.
Shortcuts in vim to insert a datestamp, initial, & newline. procmail
to fetch new tasks from email, and a plain simple web interface to
display the current list.

I've come across a bunch of "Todo text" and work-alikes via
lifehacker.com. It might be another option for working with flat
files, although there is no "notes" support.

http://ginatrapani.github.com/todo.txt-cli/

> But if I need something beefier and online, I like Steve Kemp's TODO:
>
>        http://todo.steve.org.uk/
>
> It's open source, you can run it yourself, or you can just use his
> demo site with your own account.

This is cool! It seems extremely simple, yet has most of the features
I was looking for. MySQL seems a bit heavy a requirement for it, but
since I have mariadb installed already...

I somewhat wish I found it before my friend mentioned Trac earlier
today. It would have hands-down won. It appears to even have email
support. It is still in the running, though. It seems simple enough
that I can probably fetch it and import my stuff. I'll probably try it
for a day or two, see what I think.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>