[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

Tue Sep 15 16:50:16 EDT 2009

On September 15, 2009 12:01:08 pm Daniel Agar wrote:
> I've had success getting content from my rogers provided scientific
> atlanta 3250 through firewire to my myth box. It doesn't work for all
> channels (or at all times), but generally it can be used to capture hd
> content from citytv, ctv, global, abc, nbc, fox, but not cbs, cbc (of
> all things??), pbs, discovery or any premium channel.

I had no success with the SA4250HD (I think that's the box I tested with; it's
their current non-PVR HD box).  If you have any tips or tricks or URLs which
detail what it is you did, I would certainly re-try my testing.

However, as you stated, it's up to Rogers to just flip a bit and suddenly
nothing works again.  I've also heard rumour that this can change with the
same channel in different areas of the same city; the Broadcast Flag is not
uniformly implemented within even the same cable company.

Now mind you, I was just using the firewire test utils, and did not set up Myth
with a channel list or anything to that effect. That may have been the trick,
but it was lunchtime and I was at a friend's house with my laptop.  :-)

-A.