[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Tue Sep 15 12:01:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 09:44, Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account)
<aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> On September 9, 2009 10:45:09 am Colin Mackay wrote:
>> At the moment, I am not certain if the HDMI output on Rogers or Bell
>> receivers actually uses HDCP or not.  It probably can be turned on rather
>> quickly, if it's not already.
>
> They most certainly do.  In fact, the HD receivers that Rogers ships don't
> even allow you to stream content out of the FireWire port. I tried this last
> month.  Very disappointing.

I've had success getting content from my rogers provided scientific
atlanta 3250 through firewire to my myth box. It doesn't work for all
channels (or at all times), but generally it can be used to capture hd
content from citytv, ctv, global, abc, nbc, fox, but not cbs, cbc (of
all things??), pbs, discovery or any premium channel.