[kwlug-disc] Kolab/Zimbra/Citadel/OpenExchange/...

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Oct 2 16:46:34 EDT 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 10/02/2009 4:04 PM:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 03:30:07PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> So, when you talk about attempts to compete with Exchange, do you mean
>> Exchange as mail server or Exchange as groupware?
>
> I don't even know what groupware is. However, I think this is what I
> am talking about.
>
> I do know what a standalone mail server is, and we use more of
> Exchange's functionality than this. For example, some people use
> calendars and book meeting requests and use the horribly broken
> resource mailbox functions.

At least, it sounds like, you're not using Public Folders. (-:

Perhaps helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Exchange_Server
(Think how much of MS Word's functionality is typically used vs what
it's capable of. i.e. Hard to answer the question of Exchange
equivalent without knowing how much of Exchange you're actually using.
Which you've now answered.)

Active Directory is usually the sticky wicket in considering
alternative. Do you require the alternative to validate against AD?
Are you willing to set up your own LDAP server and get it and AD to
coexist together in some fashion?

	I expect losing AD entirely is not an option for you. So, do you
require a single point of user id maintenance, which by definition
would have to be AD, or is it acceptable to have two? For that matter,
you may already have two points of maintenance, if you're running Samba.

Sorry, no personal experience myself. Certainly interested in hearing
the answers to your question though.

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 10/02/2009 10:55 AM:
.
.
.