[kwlug-disc] Job offer: J2EE Software Development Manager

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:40:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:42, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
> >  just to be clear, i think it's great if a local person lands a
> > linux job.  the issue is that, if that happens, a recruiting company
> > makes $$$ off of it, while the LUG (if it helped secure the placement)
> > gets nothing out of it.
> >
> >  let me make what i think is an important distinction here -- there
> > are people who have every right to look for employees here, because
> > they're part of the local linux community.  for example, would anyone
> > begrudge netdirect posting on the discussion list, advertising
> > openings?  of course not -- because john is an active member of the
> > community and contributes constantly.  he's *earned* the right to
> > recruit here.
>
> I agree with Robert. Job ads through the LUG are fine. If John were to
> post an ad it would be acceptable. Not just due to being an active
> contributor, but simply as an employer looking for a Linux person. A
> Linux group is an obvious place to look for a Linux person.
>
> Compare with John paying an agency to find a Linux person, which in
> turn posts to the list. The results are the same, but there was money
> exchanging hands for leveraging "the community." They should probably
> be included anyway since I agree that it is good to at least help
> somebody get a job, but it would be at least nice for the head hunter
> to donate a bit from the fee to the FLOSS fund as thanks.
>
> --
> Chris Irwin
> <chris at chrisirwin.ca>

Uh.. but don't we get into the whole 'money is dirty' conundrum if we
start asking for donations from companies who want to leverage our
community?  I see the 'payback' to us - the LUG - is that companies
looking for Linux talent, come to us first.  Maybe we need someone
to screen people who want to post to the list for Linux-related jobs
so we don't get all manner of junk being posted, but for legitimate
positions - do we want to start accepting or worse, requiring donations
for postings?

- Oksana