[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Fri Jan 30 13:47:04 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Denver Gingerich wrote, On 01/30/2009 12:51 PM:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Rogers site says on their website you can exceed your monthly bandwidth
>>> limit (different costs per GB exceeded, depending upon your plan), to a
>>> maximum of $25.00.
>>>
>>> Poking about the web, it seems that at some point they significantly
>>> limit
>>> your bandwidth. I wonder if at some point they just cut you off. (Until
>>> your
>>> next monthly period begins.)
>>>
>>> Anyone have hard experience with this / costs / limits / consequences?
>>
>> If you're concerned about bandwidth usage, the real question is: Why
>> are you still using Rogers?
>
> Please give me some credit.
>
> Had to move from Golden, er, Execulink (Bell Wholesalers) because I'm too
> far from the C.O. Having received notice of speed increases, and not getting
> them, I inquired. They didn't think I could reliably get 1.5 Mbps (which I
> was getting at the time), so they (Bell, who services the lines) reduced me
> to 512 kbps. BA BYE!

Fair enough; I didn't mean to jump to conclusions.  Have you checked
out Execulink's cable Internet offerings
(http://www.execulink.ca/residential/internet/cable_internet.php)?
Not sure if that's new, but it should theoretically work if Rogers
works (I assume they'd be using Rogers' lines).

> I'd max. out the usage surcharge limit at 12.5 GB.

Sounds like you're on Express, which is 60 + 12.5 = 72.5 GB with
overage.  If you don't mind paying a little more per month ($54.95 vs
$44.95), then Extreme might be better for you.  It's 95 + 16.7 GB =
111.7 GB with overage.  And you'd still only pay an extra $25 for the
overage (see http://bit.ly/APac).

> Anyone have personal experience with Rogers bandwidth caps / extra usage
> fees / consequences?

Afraid I don't.  We've hit gone over our Rogers cap here a couple
times, but I don't think we exceeded the extra bandwidth limit.  I've
never seen our speed drop.

What we really need is houses with tails
(http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/07/customer-owned-fiber.ars)
so we don't have to deal with the broadband monopolies.  But until
then, we just have to make due.

Denver
http://ossguy.com/