[kwlug-disc] Rogers Bandwith Limit - Consequences of exceeding?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jan 30 13:29:54 EST 2009

Denver Gingerich wrote, On 01/30/2009 12:51 PM:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> Rogers site says on their website you can exceed your monthly bandwidth
>> limit (different costs per GB exceeded, depending upon your plan), to a
>> maximum of $25.00.
>>
>> Poking about the web, it seems that at some point they significantly limit
>> your bandwidth. I wonder if at some point they just cut you off. (Until your
>> next monthly period begins.)
>>
>> Anyone have hard experience with this / costs / limits / consequences?
>
> If you're concerned about bandwidth usage, the real question is: Why
> are you still using Rogers?

.
.
.

Please give me some credit.

Had to move from Golden, er, Execulink (Bell Wholesalers) because I'm
too far from the C.O. Having received notice of speed increases, and
not getting them, I inquired. They didn't think I could reliably get
1.5 Mbps (which I was getting at the time), so they (Bell, who
services the lines) reduced me to 512 kbps. BA BYE!

	Execulink completely understood, agreed with, and even recommended
(unofficially) the move. Been a long time loyal Golden customer - they
keep proving themselves over and over again with great customer
service. May well go back some day, should I move.

Rogers has been more than fine (like I have a choice). Torrents aren't
an issue, speed wise, like was said - bandwidth caps are more the
issue. Torrents aren't delivered fast enough for speed service rates
to be an issue. Rogers bashing is old, already. They are what they
are. In many cases, the only choice. I agree, though, assuming cheaper
available alternatives, they are the last choice.

Last time I poked around, Bell may be shaping, but apparently only
during prime time - something like 4:00 PM through 10:00 PM (midnight?).

Also, last time I checked, dry loop fees + any other provider is still
more expensive than Bell / Bell wholesaler / Rogers.

Going to rogers.com, selecting internet at the right of the horizontal
bar near the top reveals dial-up internet on the menu on the right.
Who knew!

I'd max. out the usage surcharge limit at 12.5 GB.

Anyone have personal experience with Rogers bandwidth caps / extra
usage fees / consequences?