[kwlug-disc] the value of twitter: part deux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Dec 24 22:34:20 EST 2009

Don't conflate the medium and the message/content.

She (and you, and me) have sites/blogs that contain information that is
valuable to others. The site(s) demonstrate that we have experience in a
given field and are useful to others who search Google, aggregate our RSS,
...etc.

Twitter is the medium, not the content. It helps drive traffic, but to say
that she got her job as a result of it is exaggeration. It is the useful
content that she created demonstrating her experience that did the trick.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>  in case you're still not clued in to the value of twitter, i have a
> good friend, cheryl mckinnon, who gave a talk on open source ECM at
> the last ontario linux fest.  she got her current job as WORLDWIDE
> CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER for a european ECM company pretty much through
> twitter.  she spends a lot of time in boston.  she flies to paris on
> occasion.
>
>  she's a social media expert.  she's on twitter.  she has almost 1800
> followers:
>
>  http://twitter.com/cherylmckinnon
>
> she got her current job without ever having to produce a resume.  she
> has a personal blog -- http://candyandaspirin.blogspot.com/ -- which
> has links to her twitter account and her linkedin profile.
>
>  she has a company blog:  http://blogs.nuxeo.com/cmckinnon/.  and if
> you go to that page and look down her "recent posts", you'll see where
> she blogs about her talk at OLF.  so people from all over the world
> who follow her now know that she spoke at OLF.  (and there was enough
> positive feedback for her talk at OLF that she thinks she's going to
> recommend that her new company be a sponsor of OLF next year.)
>
>  she will never have to produce another resume for anyone for the
> rest of her life.  cheryl understands social media.  and that's why
> she has a job that will let her spend new year's eve in paris.
>
>  if you don't understand social media, you might want to look into
> it.
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>            Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com