[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Dec 19 03:02:44 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 05:18:22PM -0500, Darcy Casselman wrote:
>
> > 3) Something about coordinators and commitees I didn't adequately
> > understand.  Could you please clarify?
>
> In order to get the space for free, the co-ordinator at First United
> has to convince some committee (a board?) that KWLUG satisfies their
> definition of an outreach project.

  and that's where you might have a problem because, quite simply,
many of the meetings *don't*.  let me explain, and probably make
myself thoroughly unpopular in the process.

  in my opinion as someone who's spent a lot of time on both sides of
the podium, many of the kwlug meetings simply go on too long and leave
very little time at the end for questions or socializing.  also, many
of them are sufficiently technical and targeted at the truly geeky
that newbies might not get much out of them.  and if you *combine*
those two attributes (overly long and overly technical), it's hard to
describe that as "outreach" if newcomers don't get much out of it.

  the fundamental problem i see here is that it's not clear what
audience kwlug is going after.  the truly geeky and linux-immersed?
fine, then that's the audience and it will define how kwlug operates
and how the meetings will run. newbies?  that's a totally *different*
audience and will require a noticeably *different* approach.

  i could write more but i think the discussion of where to meet is
premature.  i think what has to be clarified first is what kwlug is
trying to *do*.  once that's clearly defined, answering the rest of
the questions should be easier.

rday