[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: SSL Certificates, Dhall (Jan 2020)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 4 02:54:44 EST 2020

Happy New Year! Now that we have all the optometry and Barbara Walters
jokes out of the way, how about getting together for a KWLUG meeting?

On the beginner-friendly front, John Steel will tell us about SSL
certificates and how they work with Public Key Infrastructures (PKI).
If you have ever wondered where the little green locks come from on
your web browser (and why they deserve to be green) then this may be
the presentation for you.

On the more technical side, Stephen Paul Weber will tell us about
Dhall, a configuration language that overcomes some of the
deficiencies of JSON and YAML. The goal is Dhall is to be powerful
enough that you don't repeat yourself in configuration files, but not
so powerful that it leads to bad side-effects (somebody please inform
C++ templates that Turing-completeness is a bug and not a feature).

In future meeting news: March's meeting will feature a
beginner-friendly presentation on Audacity, the sound editor. Brent
Clements is looking for suggestions about what features of Audacity
you would like to learn about. You can tell him on the kwlug-disc
list, by emailing me so I can forward feedback to him, or even by
using the contact functionality on our website.

In other future meeting news: we are looking for a beginner-friendly
presentation for next month. Presentation slots are 40 minutes long,
and we aim to be a friendly, supportive audience. Do you have
something to share that might interest new Linux users? Share it with
us!

In LibrePlanet news tickets are now available for the local satellite
edition of the conference, which is scheduled for March 14 and 15.
Tickets range from $50 to $285, and you can sign up at
https://2020.libreplanet.ca/register . (Since Stephen is organizing
this satellite conference, he might tell us a few things about it
during the meeting, too.) If you know of people out of town who are
interested in the free software movement, please invite them to the
conference as well.

This month's meeting will be held at our newish home:

TriOS College
110 King St E
(Market Square, at Frederick)
Kitchener

The meeting starts at 7pm. Maps and pictures can be found at
https://kwlug.org/trios-college . Arrive by 7pm if you can, or bring a
mobile phone so we can let you in.

- Paul
--