[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: IPFS, Curv (May 2019)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun May 5 12:47:02 EDT 2019

I am skeptical whether the Interplanetary File System (IPFS) has been
empirically shown to work between planets, but it has been
demonstrated to be an interesting mechanism for distributing files in
a decentralized way. Like Bittorrent, it spreads chunks of files
across many computers. Like git, it supports versioning. Instead of
specifying a server location for the file you want, you specify the
hash. Nathan Fish will tell us more about the system, and how it
could potentially replace HTTP (!).

I am not at all skeptical about Curv, the 3D mathematical modelling
software developed by our own Doug Moen. Doug will follow up his
successful 2017 presentation, further demonstrating the language and
telling us of new developments.

If KWLUG was a Communitech peer-to-peer group then I guess I would be
promoting the upcoming (and somewhat pricey) True North Conference at
https://truenorthwaterlool.com , but we aren't, so I won't.

Instead, I will remind you of our meeting location:

TriOS College
110 King St E
(At Frederick, in Market Square)
Kitchener

The meeting starts at 7pm.

I use the outer doors to get in. They will be locked, but there will
be somebody minding the door until 7pm, and there will be a sign with
a number to text/call to get in. (Check all three sets of doors.)
Apparently you can also get into the building via the parking lot, but
if you get lost just use the outside doors at King and Frederick.

Maps and photos of the location are here:
https://kwlug.org/trios-college

- Paul
--
Sign Up for the WatCamp Newsletter: https://da.gd/wtcmp-news