[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Rust! (July 2017)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 8 12:24:56 EDT 2017

Let's try this again. Some of you remember that we had to postpone
March's presentation on Rust due to last-minute illness. The time has
now come to get Rusty. Unlike last month's trendy Javascript
framework, Rust remains relevant and intriguing. It offers a
memory-safe, high performance systems programming language as an
alternative to C or (ugh) C++. It is being developed by Mozilla with
the goal of developing a new browser layout engine. Theo Belaire has
used Rust to experiment with kernel modules and real time operating
systems. He will discuss the language and tell us some of the things
he has done with it. This presentation will begin at 7pm, after
initial announcements.

Do you appreciate systems administrators? If so you might be
interested in participating in the annual Systems Administrators
Appreciation Day dinner organized by Bob Jonkman. The dinner is
scheduled for Friday, July 28 with the location under discussion. To
learn more, visit
http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/2017/06/28/planning-sysadminday-dinner/

Do you like local tech events in Waterloo Region? I have brought up
the Watcamp calendar many times in these announcements, but here is a
new twist: there is now an email list which produces a weekly event
listing lovingly delivered to your inbox. If you like the idea of
tech events but forget to visit the calendar (or subscribe by other
means) then you should sign up for the newsletter:

We are still on the lookout for a new meeting venue. If you know of
spaces that can accomodate 25-30 people, have reasonable access to
transit/parking, and would be low cost or free for us to use each
month, please get in touch.

That's all I've got for this month. As always, if you have specific
events that should be in this announcement, or you would like to
schedule a presentation, please get in touch.

This month's meeting will be held at the usual (for now) location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

There are maps and pictures of the site at https://kwlug.org/sjk .
Doors open at 6:30pm for setup, and setup helpers are always
appreciated.

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org